Solutions to sleeplessness
Sleeplessness seems to be affecting more and more people and the recommended 8 hours seems to be a thing of the past for many.
According to HealthLinkBC
Insomnia (also called insomnia disorder) is a common sleep problem that can affect your quality of life. People with insomnia have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. They may wake up during the night or wake up too early the next morning.
- Stress, such as worrying about an upcoming event, work or school
- Poor sleep habits - , such as an irregular bed time, too much screen time, worrying about not being able to get to sleep.
- Changes in your sleep habits or surroundings., such as noise, light, unfamiliar bed, jet lag or shift work
- Other health problems, such as pain, breathing problems,
- Stimulants, such as caffeine, alcohol, medication, drugs etc.
- Lack of regular exercise
The Bach Flower Remedies can help you deal with the emotions that surround sleeplessness and will hopefully assist with a good night's sleep.
Do you have an active mind?
Do your with thoughts constantly going around and around, which however hard you try keep returning? Try White Chestnut for a peace of mind and clear head for positive problem solving. Worry can then be replaced by trust in a positive outcome and solutions to problems will come to mind easily.
Are you unable to relax because you have taken on too much at work, or dedicated to a particular cause that you want assistance with? Vervain assists with helping you to wind down from daily events and to relax.
Are you anxious of fearful about something?
If you have unknown fears try Aspen for an inner peace. For known fears try Mimulus that can assist you with the courage to face trials and difficulties with confidence. For fears of over-concern for the welfare of others (especially family) Red Chestnut will assist you to care for them compassionately and calmly when asked to do so.
Stressed out and overwhelmed by your daily workload and responsibilities?
Try Elm, this remedy can help you to put things into perspective, so that you can take on only what you can cope with, and at the same time look after your own needs.
Feeling over tired, exhausted and out of energy?
Olive will help you regain the strength and ability to get through the day, at the same time helping you realize when it is time to take it easy.
Feeling stressed about a particular upcoming event e.g. exam, interview, and dental visit?
Rescue Remedy will help you face the situation in a better frame of mind, and will help to reduce your fear and nervousness.
Useful Tips for a Better Sleep:
- Reduce the amount of caffeine, alcohol, and heavy meals in the few hours before bedtime.
- Try to establish a nightly routine. Go to bed at the same time every night
- Unwind with a warm bath, milky drink, or listen to soothing music before going to bed.
- Read a book until you feel tired. Don’t worry about how much or how little you’re sleeping – this only makes things worse.
- Keep your room cool, dark, and quiet - no background TV or radio noise.
- Don’t lie in bed awake. Get up and do something else until you feel sleepy again.
- An hour or so before bed turn down the lights and switch off any electronics (computer, smartphones or tablets.)
- Avoid day time naps